Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Winston Churchill quotes

All of these are taken from the book: Winston Churchill: soldier, statesman, artist. by John B. Severance.

A lady member of parliament who was annoyed with Winston said to him, "if you were my husband, i'd put poison in your coffee." and Churchill replied, "if you were my wife i'd drink it."

A member of Parliament was giving a long and boring speech when he noticed that Churchill's eyes were closed. "Must you fall asleep while i am talking?" the man asked. "no. " replied Winston with his eyes still closed. "It's purely voluntary."

"During my life i have often had to eat my own words and i have found them a wholesome diet."

"in war you don't have to be nice, you only have to be right."

When he was quite old someone asked Churchill if he was afraid of death. He answered, "I am ready to meet my maker. Weather my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."

"A young man cannot expect to get very far in life without getting some good smacks in the eye. "

When asked why he painted only landscapes and never portraits he answered, "Because a tree can't complain that i haven't cought its likeness"


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

what about the fat lady?!?!?!